Saturday, January 9, 2010

What can you do to an ex-spouse that has falsley claimed dependant children despite court order?

Take the divorce decree with you to the tax office and file for the kids. Do it NOW before he gets the refund. With the both of you filing for the kids, there will be an investigation. have the tax person file the decree WITH your taxes to make the process quicker.What can you do to an ex-spouse that has falsley claimed dependant children despite court order?
Personally you can do nothing. It is up to the laws of the land to catch up to him. You can report it to the IRS, but try not to sound like a vindictive ex wife while doing it. They may need copies of the court order for their file so be prepared to supply them with a notarized copy.What can you do to an ex-spouse that has falsley claimed dependant children despite court order?
You do what I did.





My ex one year told me he was going to claim the two kids and wanted their ss #...I told him no.....the deduction was mine and since he payed so little in child support I needed that return to either use on them or throw into the home we owned jointly..besides since there was nothing in the separation order on that, and I was supplying the bulk of their support, the deduction was mine. I even called the IRS and an agent told me if I was supplying over 50% of their support ( more like 80%) the deduction was mine. I relayed that to the ex with the name of the agent %26amp; the phone no. so he could confirm it for himself.





He ignored me, checked his old paperwork %26amp; found their ss numbers, and claimed the deduction, so did I....both of us got our returns with the deduction.





Then, the fun started.





We both got letters a few weeks later telling us only one could have the deduction....so I called the IRS again...they told me they would look into it and if need be, do an audit....they did ask who had physical custody of the children and what his support payments were per week....then said they would get back to me via letter if an audit was necessary.





I wasn't audited...he was. He ended up having to return a few thousand dollars.





Oh well.....
Contact the IRS. Let them know that you have reason to believe your ex husband claimed your children, despite it stating in the divorce agreement that you are the one to claim them. Find out from them what you should do when you file. They will take it from there ;)





Good luck.
are we talking tax's?





if so, you claim them anyways if you are in your legal right. You wait until after he files and then you call the tax people and make a report that he is defrauding the IRS.
Claim them too and provide a copy of your divorce decree as documentation!
Go ahead an claim them and then when there is an audit he will be in trouble.
report them to the IRS

No comments:

Post a Comment