Monday, December 28, 2009

Do you recall the very first meal you prepared for your spouse and how the food turned out?

I fried pork chops and fried potatoes for my husband and me. I cooked them much too long and the chops were tough and the sliced potatoes turned out like chips. I think it was a save though. We had cottage cheese and applesauce on the side. You can't mess that up much can you?...but there's always tomorrow.Do you recall the very first meal you prepared for your spouse and how the food turned out?
I will answer for my wife.


42 years ago I was a non-cooking bachelor living with another guy that always cooked instant mashed potatoes and fried meat with mustard on it.


My new beautiful date came over and cooked round steak, REAL mashed potatoes with gravy and fresh baked rolls.





We've been married for 41 years now.Do you recall the very first meal you prepared for your spouse and how the food turned out?
I made breaded pork chops. I answered the door in a long and clingy red nightgown. Within a few minutes the electricity went off. I lit candles and we enjoyed some wine while we were waiting for the electricity to come back on so I could finish dinner. Not thinking about the pork chops because I thought the oven had gone off too, smoke started coming into the living room. Seems the gas stove continues to work without electricity. To make the evening a true joke, I went to the bathroom to freshen up. My beautiful red gown fell into the water as I got up from the toilet. I had to change my gown and give my future husband cheese and crackers and more wine for dinner. It was a night of everything going wrong, but in the end everything was funny and we still laugh about my ';romantic dinner';...
I don't remember the first meal, but do remember one of the early meals that I prepared. My husband and I still laugh about it 41 years later. I fixed ';baked steaks';. I grew up with an electric stove, and was use to broiling the steaks in the oven, except we had a gas stove. I asked my husband to check on the steaks when he was in the kitchen. He opened the bottom drawer/broiler tray only to find that it was empty. He asked where the steaks were. That's when I found out about the broiler tray.
This is a great question. And you get a star. I only wish I could re-


member what the first meal was I did cook for my husband. For we


were both in the service, and it was over a year before I did cook him


anything.


I do recall the very first meal I ever cooked though. And it was nearly


a disaster. I had no prior experience, so I learned from failure I guess.


The first meal was fried chicken, and I remember the chicken was


done, and the potatoes were still rock hard. I had no clue, that I had


to cut them up before boiling for mashed potatoes. And I was cooking


for two soldiers off base. I was just lucky enough, that one of them,


knew his way around the kitchen a bit. And when he was just hungry


enough, he came out to see if I needed a hand. We both had quite


a laugh over the still raw, whole potatoes boiling. He helped me


quarter them and soon we did have mashed potatoes and he even


helped with the gravy. I had never taken an interest at home. And mother always wanted to do her own cooking, and never offered to teach me. And I wasn't in any hurry to learn. That sure taught me later.
Forty years is a long time but I do know that when I first cooked rice for one of our meals, hubby put cream and sugar in it instead of gravy. He said his family ate rice as a dessert, their staple was potatoes. He learned quickly that rice was not a dessert with me, we had it for every meal in our part of the south. Poppy
He had to teach me how to cook dinner. First was goulash. We had lessons and stuff, and then I had to take a turn. So, it was every night for a week.





Then, when I learned roast chicken, he invited another couple over, when I'd never, ever done it before. Then, it turned out, he got called in to work, so it was just me and the cookbook. A full dinner, including a dessert. And, I was having morning sickness, so was running to the bathroom, as well. It all turned out very well, tho!
Ha Ha....I was just telling someone about this earlier in the week. We were broke but even if we had had money it wouldn't have been much better. I had never cooked a full meal.





I opened a large can of Dinty Moore Stew and a can of Pillsbury biscuits and was so proud of myself.





I did learn to cook and raised three children who always told me I was a good cook. I loved it when my boys were teenagers cause they loved everything I cooked. =)
I cooked this meat stuff in a tin which his mom said he liked which was okay but i didn't know how long to cook potatoes, my parents hadn't even told me that to check them with a fork to see if they were soft. I had to phone my mother in law to find out my parents only got a phone 3 years ago.
I think it was Rajma (red beans) %26amp; rice....not too sure though!





I remember waiting for his comments with bated breath! I thought the meal was good but he didn't say much. That broke my heart and I lost all interest in cooking right there and then...Till this day my cooking is appreciated more by his friends/colleagues than he!





My husband had been staying alone in another city for far too long and cooked his own meals. So naturally practice made him a better cook. Whereas I had never cooked a meal single-handed, living with parents and houseful of sisters...never had a chance!


*Sigh*
Yes, it was called ';Stuffed Burger Bundles';. Meatballs stuffed with Stovetop stuffing and covered with a cream soup and worcestershire. (I can't believe he even wanted to continue to see me after that.) I remember he ate twice as much as I thought he would. I learned to cook more than enough after that.





I forgot all about that. I'd never make that stuff again. lol
The first meal my wife fixed for me was pancakes and bacon. Bacon was ok but the pancakes were burnt on the outside and when you cut it open, the batter ran out.





She cried but I ate them anyway since I am a little tight and don't waste much. we laugh about it now but she was really upset then.
I ( a man ) broiled steaks with corn and french fries. It was marvelous. It was 43 years ago and I have only microwaved a couple of dinners since. Thank goodness she likes to cook and is good at it and I am a whiz at doing dishes.
I made fried chicken and real mashed potatoes with green beans from a can. Everything turned out good except the gravey for the mashed potatoes, it was horrible.
Since my wife always worked also, we shared the cooking, Today she admits she doesn't like cooking so, I do all to most of it. I like experimenting.
Some concoction that was supposed to be a tuna noodle casserole - we didn't have much money then. His mother came over to visit, and said, ';Georgie, you're getting awfully thin!'; Enough said!
Fried chicken... not at home, at a cabin on a lake, not my state... couldn't get what I was use to make it. He was kind but I wasn't happy.
I made chicken and roasted potatoes that burned and crunched. I remember watching him try to chew it and pretend he liked it. We've come a long way. Now he's spoiled!
Wow, so long ago. I think spaghetti and homemade sauce, no ragu back then. LOL. It came out ok. That was one meal I couldn't mess up.
Hamburger steak, mixed veggies and a tossed salad. Turned out fine. We cooked together.
No,but I remember the first meal he prepared for me when we were dating.It was the most awful spaghetti I ever ate.
Shrimp kabobs ... they turned out great
No, thank goodness I do not remember. But I bet he does. haha
I baked a ham and didnt take the plastic cover off....it was impossible to cut......

No comments:

Post a Comment